Cook Time- 5 hours total in Crock Pot
Salt and Pepper
3- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 cups Red Wine
1 Onion- sliced
5 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 cups beef broth
3 celery stalks- chopped into 1 inch pieces
5 carrots- chopped into large chunks
2 cups diced pototoes
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1. Unthaw one of our organically raised and grassfed Blade Roasts. Let rest at room temperature for 1 hour and blot any moisture with paper towels.
2. Add olive oil to hot cast iron pan. Brown all the sides of the roast cooking for 3-4 mins per side. Remove roast from pan and add to crock pot.
3. Add onions and garlic to cast iron pan. Fry for a few minutes careful not to burn. Add the red wine to pan- and scrap the bottom of the pan making sure to get all the good roast bits and juices into your sauce. Let the wine reduce by half.
4. Add wine and onion mixture to crock pot.
5. Mix flour into beef broth (it's ok if it's slightly lumpy). Pour into crock pot and add celery and carrot chunks.
5. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Cooking times will vary for each individual crockpot.
6. Add potato chunks in the last hour. The meal is complete when the pototoes are soft when poked with a fork.
7. Slice the roast and serve with the vegetables and gravy.